In 1995, the Open Space Institute purchased Glynwood Farm, a 957-acre estate and one of the few unspoiled tracts of woodlands and pasture in the lower Hudson River Valley. More than 700 of the acres were added to the adjacent Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park substantially expanding the protected lands in the Hudson Highlands, a mountain range bisected by the Hudson River 50 miles north of New York City.
The remaining core of the estate, consisting of 230 acres of cow pastures, ponds and farm buildings, serves as a working farm and home to the Glynwood Center, a nonprofit group that runs a conference facility and educational programs on agriculture. The farm's heritage stretches back to the 1700’s, and the centerpiece of the farm is a 16,000-square-foot, post-and-beam barn, that is over 150 years old, which once housed cows that supplied milk for the West Point Military Academy.
For decades, gardeners have worked Glynwood's soil, resulting in an array of sustainably maintained gardens. Produce from the gardens is featured in the meals at Glynwood, goes to local families through a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program, and supplies local restaurants.
Glynwood Farm was bought from the heirs of George W. Perkins, a financier who at the turn of the century was a partner of J. Pierpont Morgan. Mr. Perkins, a noted conservationist, was one of the creators of the Palisades Interstate Park system, a chain of preserves west of the Hudson River. Glynwood Center is located in Putnam County on Route 301, east of Cold Spring, NY.
New York Times Article 1995